Many businesses today are running lean, especially with regard to stocking inventory. At times, businesses can find themselves with low levels of inventory, needing to reorder additional products to fulfill demands for open sales orders. When low levels of inventory exists, it is difficult to determine which products are reserved for which sales order. This blog entry will provide details on how to quickly create an inquiry/report allowing users to easily search for reserved products. As a result, users will have the ability to quickly remove reservations from low priority orders and apply reservations to orders that are being shipped.
In Microsoft Dynamics-AX, there are a several ways parameters can be configured that are unique to a client. Configuring how products will be reserved against sales order lines can be accomplished three different ways:
- Manual reservation, which means inventory will have to be manually reserved against a sales order line.
- Automatic reservation, which will reserve inventory as soon as sales order lines are created. Automatic reservation also applies to the parent bill of material item.
- Explosion reservation, which will reserve inventory as soon as sales order lines are created. Explosion reservation also applies to the individual elements of a bill of material, not the parent.
How To Create the Reservation Inquiry/Report
To begin creation of the reservation inquiry, perform the following steps:
- Inventory management > Inquiries > Transactions > Transactions
- Right click on the gray columns > click Personalize
- Click the “+” sign to expand the “Overview” folder
- Click the “+” sign to expand the “Grid” option
- Select the Inventory Dimensions folder so it is highlighted
- Click the Add Fields button
- Add the following fields below by searching, selecting and clicking the Add button at the bottom
- Inventory transactions originator > Reference
- Inventory transactions originator > Number
- Inventory transactions > Issue status
- Inventory transactions > Receipt status
- As a result, the Personalization screen should look like the screen shot below
- Note the yellow information bar message “after you close the personalization form, you must close and reopen the transactions form before you can see your personalization changes”
- Click Save and Close
- Close and reopen the Transactions screen
- Press Ctrl+G to allow searching
- In the “Number” field, type in “SO” to display sales orders only
- In the “Issue Status” field, type in “Reserved” to display reserved physical issue status
- Users can now search by “Item number” for all products that contain a reservation
- From the Transactions screen, users can right click on a sales order number > view details to display the sales order and remove reservations if needed
- Additionally, if users want to export the Transactions screen into Excel, simply press Ctrl+T on the keyboard
For more tips and tricks to get the most out of you Microsoft Dynamics-AX, be sure to take a look at our Dynamics Community Newsletter or contact our experts at RSM, 855-437-7210