The new Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Operations and Finance includes several Microsoft integrations that make doing work easier. One of these is the Excel add-in. This application can be downloaded from the Office store for free, and can be set up with just a few clicks. Once downloaded, you can update, view, and edit data within an Excel workbook. Additionally, you can open data entities within the Excel application, making it easier to view and edit data within your data entities. In this week’s blog, I will do a high-level overview of how to add records to a table using the Excel Data Connector.
Important note: you should be using Office 2016 to use this tool, and you should run Excel as administrator.
First, you will want to make sure the app is downloaded in Excel.
- Open Excel 2016 in your environment (run as administrator), create a new Workbook, then click the Insert tab, and select
- Search for “Microsoft Dynamics” in the search box.
- Click Add next to the application to add to your Add-ins.
- The application will display on the right-hand side of Excel.
- Now, you will need to add your server information to the connector. This will enable you to view, and edit data, then publish it to Dynamics 365.
- Click Add server information in the add-in box.
- Copy and paste the base URL for your Dynamics 365 for Operations and Finance client in the Server URL
- Click OK.
- Click Yes to confirm, then you will need to sign into your user account.
- Now, navigate to the Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations client, and go to the form you with to view in Excel. For this demonstration, I am using the Fleet Management customers table found at Fleet management > Customers > Customer.
- Click the Open in Office icon on the Action pane.
- Under the Open in Excel, then select the table you want to open in excel.
- Click download in the dialog.
- Click Enable editing. If you don’t do this, the data will not load.
- You may need to sign into your account again using the data connector.
- Now you can view, and edit records in the Fleet Management Customers table.
- To add a record, click New in the Data connector, a row will be added to the spreadsheet.
- In order to push updated to Dynamics 365, you need to click publish in the Data Connector app.
If you’d like to learn more about getting the most out of your Microsoft Dynamics 365, Contact our experts at RSM 855-437-4201