Update: for the most recent details on this topic please view this post, “Important Update to the Buzz on Dynamics GP Email Functionality & TLS – Revised!”
If you use the email functionality in Dynamics GP, here’s some IMPORTANT information you should know:
History of TLS:
- As of October 2020, Exchange online no longer supported using TLS1.0 and TLS1.1 (Transport Layer Security) and was replaced by TLS 1.2. As a result of this security change, Basic Authentication is no longer a supported authentication method for connecting to Office 365 (Exchange). Dynamics GP still uses Basic Authentication for previous versions and now only supports Modern Authentication starting with the October 2020 release (18.3).
- In January of 2022 Microsoft announced effective October 1, 2022, they will be permanently disabling Basic Authentication in all tenants regardless of usage.
- The links below provide more information on these changes. They cover deprecation of Basic Authentication and how to prepare for the change, emails intermittently failing, and an email troubleshooting guide:
What does that mean to you?
- Email functionality could stop working on any environment running GP 18.2 or lower.
- Email functionality could still work intermittently or not at all and won’t be supported by Microsoft.
What are your options to avoid disruptions to the email functionality in Dynamics GP?
- Option 1: Upgrade to the latest version of Dynamics GP by October 1, 2022.
- Option 2: Purchase RSM’s APP Dev Product – $2500 for the tool and one SSRS report. RSM has developed a .net windows application to leverage the email settings within Dynamics GP and SSRS to print/email customer, employee and vendor facing documents. It allows clients to print by various filter options with no limitation on batch size. The performance of the application is about 100-200 documents in 3-5 minutes (depending on size of SSRS report and server performance). It leverages the Outlook application installed on workstation/server and logged in Mail Profile.
- Option 3: Purchase Liaison Messenger Product
- Sends emails directly to Office 365
- TLS 1.2 support
- Works with GP versions 2015 and above.
- Set up time required & requires a stand-alone workstation to run the print driver
- Sends standard print jobs and emails
- Cost based on user count licensing plus maintenance fees
Other products affected
To date, we know of four other products commonly used with Dynamics GP that are also impacted. If you are using any of these products you should reach out to their helpdesk or your product representative (Avalara, Salespad, KwikTag, Reqlogic, Mekorma).
Who should I contact with questions or assistance?
Reach out to your RSM Client Account Manager or contact us here. You can also reach us by phone at 800.274.3978.