With the release of Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2016, there is a bundle of new features for administrators and developers out-the-box. One prominent feature that stood out for us is the new signature control feature for mobile devices. In this post, I will explain how to add the signature field onto your desired Dynamics CRM entity.
Let’s see how it looks on my phone.
I have added the signature control onto the Contact entity, but it can be added to any entity that supports this new signature control.
Next, let’s dive into how the signature control feature was added onto the form.
- Go to the back end of the Contact form. Then create a new field
- For the Data Type, pick “Multiple Lines of Text” and required Maximum Length is 15,000.
- Next, add the Signature field to the form, then double click on field to bring up the Field Properties.
- Click on “Controls” tab. Then click on “Add Control”
- Click on Pen Control then click “Add”
- Next, click on circles for Phones and Tablets for Pen Control.
- Then make sure you check off “Hide on Web” at the bottom left.
- Click ok, save then publish.
Unfortunately, you cannot see the signature image on the form when using Dynamics CRM 2016 from the web out-of-the-box. It will currently only display on phones or tablets. However, RSM’s John Voorhis has a simple solution to allow the image to be displayed in other Dynamics CRM clients.
The new visual signature control is handy for those using Dynamics CRM on mobile devices in the field to capture a customer’s signature. This can be utilized when a customer service representative requires a customer’s confirmation. Another scenario is needing a customer to sign-off on a purchase of a product. In the end, the dynamic of using this signature control varies based on your required needs and business scenario.
While this is one of the many new visual controls for phones and tablets, it is definitely a very useful application for organizations to use out in the field.
If you are evaluating Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2016 for field service or use on mobile devices, RSM is a certified partner for field service management. In addition, we offer a full range of services from implementation and optimization to development and support to help guide you through a successful mobile implementation. Contact our professionals for more information on our services at 855.437.7202 or email@example.com. If you like these insights, subscribe to our Dynamics Community News publication.
By: Hien Tieu – New Jersey Microsoft Dynamics CRM partner